Thursday, April 19, 2018

Three poems by Monica Navarro

I, Monica Navarro and Ayzza Comacho share a laugh with Genny Lim on SD County Ed TV.
I've been posting at least one poem a day for April, which is National Poetry Month. Some of the more popular posts have been about K-12 poetry, so since it's Thursday, I thought I'd post three by a poet I was blessed to work with K-12.

Here's a poem Monica Navarro wrote in 2nd grade:


Strawberry Diamonds

One rainy afternoon,
my grandpa and I went shopping and saw flowers.
The blossoms opened their mouths to say,
“I am the most eautiful of all,”
but we ignore them and walk on
to the strawberry plants.
They lift their leaves and I see
a worm hiding from the birds.
“I am the ripest,”
“I am the juiciest of all,” and
“Come and get me.”
I pull out my wallet
and we buy flowers and strawberries.
At home Grandpa and I lant them in the sun
where they shine like diamonds.”

 The following year she wrote a poem that had an edgy honesty for a 3rd-grader:


Blinding Yellow

I have yellow hate so strong and bright
it blinds my eyes. I can’t see anything,
but my sister sees me and says, “Monica,
stop pretending you’re blind.”
“I’m not pretending,” I say and then
bump into a wall and it hurts,
a red baseball hitting my head.
My sister laughs and jumps away to tell our mother.

Monica's high school didn't have writing residencies, but she wanted to write for a contest. Over the years she would email me poems, so when David Avalos was creating his installation Mi Corazรณn Escondido, I knew one of her pieces inspired by history would be perfect:
Kings of Their Cities

He always told me,
"La familia es todo.
Siempre acuerdate de donde eres,"
was most likely his second favorite line.
He was my first educator,
counselor
peer.

I saw the way he came home from work
every afternoon
covered in dust and smelling of the land.
The way his fingers always felt so rough
in my hands
the deep lines in his face
that had been born
from spending so many hours under the sun.
You could hear his old white truck
driving in over the hill to the house
before you could even see it.
I found it inexplicably amusing
how he would sit on the front steps
untie his mud encrusted boots
take off his hat
to fan his face with.

I was his first grandchild
and his querida.
We had an old large circular porch
in the backyard where
we would sit for what seemed like forever
listening to the beat up old radio play rancheras
and the songs of his old barrio in Michoacan.
With me on his right leg, a beer can on his left,

we sat, and he talked,
talked about his old country
where everything was beautiful.
Talked about how he brought our family
over from Mexico.
I could hear the pride in his voice.
He imprinted our family history
into me like a typewriter upon paper.
In summer when it was too hot to talk,
we would sit listening to
everything alive around us,
balancing each other out like scales

During family parties,
the old men would sit
in the shade of the orange trees.
He would hold me on his lap
and I knew he was proud of me.
They talked about the family,
complained about their wives,
and discussed everyone else’s business.

You could tell the men became excited
when they talked about their cities in Mexico.
They way they rearranged themselves in their chairs
and stumbled over their words
as they hurriedly began narrating their memories
as if they were afraid the taste of these stories would soon disappear from their tongues.

In this way I came to imagine
the land
we came from
to be so special
that it could make old men laugh
and remember being young again.

Driving through the fields in the old white truck,
he would explain to me
how the plants grew and what they needed to live.
He was always trying to teach me
about life through metaphors and old stories,
as if how the trees’ needs for sun and water
to produce the oranges and lemons for picking
would somehow teach me
about growing up in my own family
and becoming someone from whom
people could learn,
someone whom people could look up to.
This man was my grandfather;
my abuelo.
With me on his right leg, a beer can on his left,
we would sit listening to
everything alive around us,
balancing each other out like scales
Poetry has a lot of magic. To find it young and keep it across time is a spell worth casting again and again.

David Avalos' with a flush of hidden hearts: front, Carlos Von Son, Monica, Adrian Arancibia; back Avalos and I. 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment